Translate

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Absolute Boyfriend by Yuu Watase - A Series Review (Spoiler Free)


Shy high school student Riko Izawa aches for a boyfriend but guys just won't look her way. Then one day she signs up for a three-day trial of a mysterious "lover figurine," and the next thing she knows, a cute naked guy is delivered to her doorstep--and he wants to be her boyfriend!
Has Riko died and gone to heaven? The cute naked guy turns out to be smart, super nice, stylish and a gourmet chef. Plus, he looks like a million bucks.... Trouble is, that's about what he's going to cost Riko because she didn't return him in time! (From Goodreads.com)
I rated this series about a 4.5 out of 5 stars (There are 6 volumes and it is a complete series)
This series is pretty cute. I was really craving a light shoujo series that doesn't take much thought and had a squee-worthy romance.  This delivered just that. For starters...I have been a huge fan of Watase Yuu's work for a long time. I think she writes amazing stories and her art style is perfection.  Her characters are adorable and her men are perfection.  I had started this series a long time ago, and recently decided to pick up the last three issues and binge read it. I have read bits of her other series and have enjoyed them as well, but this is the only one that I've finished.
I really enjoyed all of the characters. Riiko is your typical derpy, flat chested girl who feels like she needs a boyfriend and always gets rejected. You know, your standard shoujo female. I could see that she might annoy a lot of people, but I found her to be ok. For the most part. She definitely had her moments when I wanted to hit her (like her indecision over who she loved more).  The love interests were fantastic, and added a lot to the series.  This was the kind of series where you kind of wanted to cheer for both of the guys.
I was annoyed by the indecision that was the driving point of this series (I'm glad that it was short for that reason). I also like that the story wasn't all about sex. Yes, it was important, but a lot of the story is Riiko saying she isn't interested in sex until she falls in love (not lust). 
I think the best part was the ending though. It was a super bittersweet ending but I think it was well done.  And like I said, it ended at a good time. Any longer and I think I would have become disinterested.  All in all, I really enjoyed this series. It's nice and easy to read and full of good feels. Would highly recommend for lovers of shoujo manga!
I hope you pick it up at some point!
Until next time!~ Tschüss!~

No comments:

Post a Comment