Translate

Monday, June 2, 2014

WAKE by Lisa McMann--A Review


For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does--they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She's a participant...

*4.5/5 Stars*

I picked this book up at Goodwill not really knowing too many other people's thoughts about it. I had also never read anything by Lisa McMann before, so it was a gamble. I had just finished The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson and I wanted something short and quick. This book was calling to me so I read it. XD

This book turned out to be much different than I had expected. I didn't expect the book to be told in third person, but that was actually kind of nice. I also didn't expect the story to play out as it did. I thought this book was going to be kind of scary, especially because the back of the book talked about her participating in nightmares. But that's not really how it went. I mean yeah, there were nightmares that she saw...and they did play a part in the story...but they didn't play the part that I had anticipated. I thought Janie was going to get trapped in a nightmare and not know how to get out and the next couple of books were going to deal with her going through the nightmare and getting out, or not knowing whether she was in a dream or if it was real life (like Inception) and she was going to have to figure out which was which...but that's not AT ALL what happens. Not even close.

I won't spoil what happens, so no worries. Also, now that I think about it, the story wasn't really all that deep. We don't really get too much back story about Janie's life, and it's pretty jumpy. But I still enjoyed it (though I'm probably going to drop my rating to a 4). I have the other two books on my Amazon Wish List so that I don't forget about them.

I guess my real attachment to this story is that I guess I can understand how Janie feels. Having to hide a major part of you because you are afraid that you'll be seen as crazy, or a freak, because that's pretty much my life (not Janie's exact problem, but yeah). 

*Revised to 4/5 stars*

Well those are all my thoughts on this book. I do plan on finishing the trilogy once I collect the other two books, just because I'm curious as to how things go. That's all for now! Tootles!

No comments:

Post a Comment