Translate

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Wonder--The Review



August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school--until now. He's about to enter fifth grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid, then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. but can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances? (Taken from Goodreads.com)

*5/5 Stars*

This is officially one of my favorite books. I LOVED this book soooooooo much!! I laughed, I cried a bit, I sympathized and empathized with the characters and smiled though the entire book. I thought it was brilliant. And the little Auggie/additional character doodles are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!! I originally heard about this book from Little Book Owl's channel on Youtube, and I bought it on a whim...actually it was a cover buy. I love this cover!! >w<

Through a majority of the book, Auggie is the narrator. Auggie is hilarious. He is sarcastic, funny, takes things in stride, is incredibly deep and is OBSESSED with Star Wars. I loved all the nerdy Star Wars references and they even played a role in the story! XD That makes me super happy. XD Auggie knows he is different and he knows that his look is hard to get used to, but he takes everything in stride. He kids around with the way he looks and uses it to make other people more comfortable with him. We do see him lose his cool a couple of times though out the book, but we also see how strongly he bounces back from the issues. I think a lot of people could learn a lot from Auggie. 

One thing I wasn't sure about was the fact that the book was written in multiple points of view. I ended up enjoying it because it gave us some insight into the characters who interact with Auggie like; his sister Via, his friends Jack and Summer and some of Via's friends. I thought they would be annoying (Justin, Via's boyfriend was kind of annoying because he didn't use capitol letters or much punctuation, but he did end up being awesome XD), but they added a lot to the story. 

I honestly can't think of any problems with this book...at all...It is currently on my favorites shelf and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys contemporary and a feel good, heart warming book. READ THIS BOOK!! That is all. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment