Translate

Friday, December 27, 2013

Legend--A Review!


So, this month, I thought I'd try out this book. I had heard a lot about Legend by Marie Lu, but I didn't really know what it was about. I find that if I know too much about a book, I'm less likely to read it because I feel like I already know the story. So I went in totally blind, and I must say, it paid off.

Synopsis: The story takes place in the former United States, now known as the Republic. June is a military prodigy from a rich family. Day was born in the poor, plague ridden sector. He is a wanted criminal for causing disturbances in the Republic. When June's brother was killed, with Day as the suspect, their paths cross as June hunts him down to get revenge for her brother's death. But when she starts to uncover truths about the Republic, June has to make some decisions about what side she's on.

This book was fantastic. I loved it so much. At first I didn't know how I felt about the characters. I thought June was an uptight, rich, army brat, and I thought Day was a soft and clumsy delinquent. But the world kept me interested. I thought that it was kind of cool that it had the plague in it as well. It wasn't just about the struggle between rich and poor. There was also this side problem of the plague. It did give me a Dishonored feeling (it's a video game for those who don't know) with the plague and the rich plague-less people and Day gave me a Corvo vibe (in the sense that he doesn't do anything lethal....I guess that's kinda lame. XP). But anyways...I had a hard time connecting with the characters at first, and to be perfectly honest, I still don't feel 100% attached to them. I mean, I felt bad for their situations and I hoped the best for them..but meh. Hopefully I will feel more attached to them in the books to come (Prodigy and Champion). I also thought that a lot of the choices the characters made were very predictable. The plot was not as predictable, but the choices were. Like whether June was going to change her mind about Day. I mean...duh....-___-'

I really did like the plot twists (they weren't big, but they kept me interested) and I really liked the world building. Lu's writing is very straight forward. There isn't a lot of fluff added to it, which I actually appreciated. It was a heavily military book, so adding fluffy describing words would have been weird, I think. I just really enjoyed this book and I am very excited to see what happens in the other books! I will be picking up Prodigy and hopefully Champion with the money I got for Christmas (thanks Grandpa!!! <3). Esthetically, I really liked the fact that on Day's chapters, the writing is done in gold ink. I just think that is the coolest thing ever. It's little touches like that, that I love. I think it's cool. Good job Marie Lu. Good job.

Well, that's really all I have to say about Legend! I really enjoyed this book and I want the next two books in the series! <3 <3

I gave it 5/5 on Goodreads
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6483377-moriah

Until next time my sweet little flowers!~

No comments:

Post a Comment