Translate

Friday, December 27, 2013

Leviathan~The Review!!~


This is another book that I had heard wonderful things about, but had no idea what it was about. I knew the words, "steampunk" and "WWI" and that's all. So, when I found it on Amazon.com for 1 cent, I thought, "...Meh! Why the heck not?!"

Synopsis: Aleksandar Ferdinand, Prince of Austro-Hungary's, parents were just murdered and he in on the run from his people, who have turned against him. Deryn Sharp is a British girl who is pretending to be Dylan (a male) so that she can fulfill her dreams of flying in the British Air Service. In this world, The Germans and the Austro-Hungarians are known as Clankers, and everything is mechanical and fully gunned. The British are Darwinists who have fabricated animals who they use as weapons. When the Leviathan (A flying fabricated British whale-ship) with Deryn on board meets Alek's Stormwalker, they begin a crazy adventure that will combine the forces of two waring nations.

I had a REALLY hard time getting into this book. I didn't really care too much about the characters, I already kind of know what's going to happen, as it is based on an actual event, and it was kind of slow going. Towards the end, I started to get into it. I think once Deryn and Alek meet, it gets better. Because of it's steam punk-ness, some of the battle scenes are hard to imagine and some of the creatures are hard to imagine as well. But there are some AMAZING drawings in this book (Thanks to Keith Thompson)! I loved getting to compare what I had pictured in my head, and what the artist/author had pictured in their heads. I felt very inspired by the art and the things mentioned in this book.

Because there are a lot of made up things, I found myself getting excited to see what new creatures we were going to meet next. Flying whale airships with entire eco-systems in them, Stormwalkers, messenger lizzards Huxleys and hydrogen sniffers. Each creature introduced, I found totally fascinating. I really hope we get to meet more in the other books!

I really didn't want to end up liking this book...It started off rocky and it was kind of slow going and I just wasn't 100% sold on it....but I did end up giving it 4/5 stars on Goodreads and I am VERY curious as to what will happen next. Even though it's based on WWI, it is different enough for me to continue reading. I will be picking up Goliath and Behemoth with my Christmas money (thanks Gramps!!!!) and I will let you know what I think about them when I get them read and such.

My Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6483377-moriah
Friend me ifin' ya wanna!~ If you are a blog reader, let me know!! \>w</

Goodbye for now my Tootsie pops!

No comments:

Post a Comment