Translate

Monday, December 16, 2013

Uglies -- A review



A while ago in a Goodwill haul, I got this ratty hardcover of Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (they even spelled his name wrong on the spine XD). I ate this book up. I read this in about 3 days. It was a pretty fast read, but it was also really good.

Synopsis: In this world, at the age of 16, everyone turns pretty. They get a surgery, a whole new wardrobe and party it up in New Pretty Town. After losing her best friend to the pretties, Tally Youngblood, befriends Shay, who seems to be reluctant about turning pretty. Shay decides to leave the city and head out into the wilderness and live like people did in the old days. After Tally turns 16, a few days after Shay leaves, she gets taken in by the Specials and told she has to find Shay, or else stay ugly forever. But on her adventure to find Shay, Tally learns some things about becoming pretty that rocks her world. (Taken from Goodreads.com)

At first I was unsure about the characters....I couldn't relate to Tally or why she would want to become pretty. I related more to Shay. I thought Tally was childish and immature and I just didn't like her. After she leaves to go find Shay and she starts to experience the outside world, my feelings for her change a bit. There was some suspense and some unexpected things that happened in this story, but I thought it was pretty predictable. That was my other problem with this book. But I thought it was pretty good otherwise. I really enjoyed Scott Westerfeld's writing style. He has some very interesting ways of describing things. My favorite line is one of the first lines of this book, "The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit. Of course, Tally thought, you'd have to feed your cat only salmon-flavored cat food for a while, to get the pinks right." Totally gross, but I appreciated the oddness of it and it totally grabbed my attention. It's off color things like that that I really appreciate about Westerfeld's writing. ^^

Really, there isn't too much else to say about this book. It wasn't my favorite book I've ever read, but I did enjoy it. I am very curious to see how the series progresses. I currently have Pretties sitting on my TBR shelf and I will probably read it very soon. If you are interested in reading it, I would say pick it up! Give it a shot!~

Until next time!~ *waves*

4/5 Stars on Goodreads
My Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6483377-moriah

No comments:

Post a Comment