Translate

Monday, December 16, 2013

Number The Stars~ A Review


 I had read this book a long LONG time ago when I was in 7th grade. I had been looking for it in thrift stores for years and years, but never found it. Until my last trip! I was so excited!!! After reading a heavy book like The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, I still wanted to read a WWII book, but something that was lighter. My memory of this book was WAY off...it was like I was reading it for the first time.

Synopsis: This story takes place in Copenhagen, Denmark. Denmark has surrendered to the Nazis because they knew they wouldn't be able to fight the Germans. Slowly the Nazis start rounding up the Jews and Annemarie Johansen's best friend, Ellen Rosen and her family are in trouble. Annemarie's family takes in Ellen and hides her from the Nazis by pretending she's their daughter and smuggle her out of the city, hopefully to safety.

This book was totally different from The Book Thief. It's a lot lighter (it IS for younger people), and it focuses on a different aspect of WWII.  First off, it takes place in Denmark. Which I think is really cool. Also, they talk a lot about the resistance, which I think is a nice something new. Also, because it is a children's book, it has a happy, non-depressing ending. Which actually suited me just fine. I think it's a great introduction to WWII for younger people.

Because it's nothing really spectacular, but still pretty good, I gave it 4/5 stars on Goodreads.
My Goodreads account: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6483377-moriah

Peace out snickerdoodles!~ <3

No comments:

Post a Comment